The Sound of Music is one of my all time favourite movies. I’ve seen it at least two dozen times, I’m sure, and I have the Special Edition DVD in my collection. In that movie, Julie Andrews sings about her favourite things. For some reason, that song was going through my head this morning and I thought I would list a few of my own favourite things. In no particular order:
1. The smell of new textbooks. Really.
2. My grandchildren’s hugs.
3. My husband whispering sweet nothings in my ear.
4. A mountain view on a clear day. Breathtaking.
5. Christmas morning brunch when the whole family is around the table.
6. Dairy Queen. Enough said.
7. Chapters bookstore – the therapeutic aroma of books and coffee.
8. Finishing a hard Sudoku puzzle without cheating.
9. My kids calling me for no other reason than to simply talk.
10. Driving on the highway between Edmonton and Hinton, Alberta. Love that stretch of road!
11. New computers. Or any electronics, for that matter.
12. Tight vocal harmony. Gives me goosebumps.
13. Colour. Lots of it.
14. The silence after a heavy snowfall.
15. The total and perfect peace after a good long conversation with God.
So when the dog bites, when the bee stings, and when I’m feeling sad – I simply remember my favourite things.